People downsize to smaller homes for many reasons:
- Your children have grown up and moved out leaving you with an empty nest.
- You have retired or you are planning to retire soon.
- You are tired of the upkeep it takes to maintain a large house.
- You would rather spend your free time traveling or on your hobbies rather than cleaning your house.
- Increased taxes and upkeep have made your current home too expensive.
- You’ve lost a spouse or partner and you’re living alone.
- You’ve always wanted to live at the beach, in the mountains, on a lake, etc. and want a smaller dream house in one of those locales.
- You’ve built up a lot of Equity in your current home and want to start using it for other things.
Whatever the reason, downsizing is a good move that will likely bring you more joy. Here are the reasons why:
- Your house will be easier to maintain and you will spend less time cleaning.
- You will spend less money on everything from your mortgage, taxes and insurance to your heating, cooling, and electricity.
- Having less debt will eliminate the financial stress that comes with a huge mortgage payment.
- A home that doesn’t drain your resources and energy will give you peace of mind. And that is priceless.
- A smaller home has a positive impact on the environment because it requires less resources to build and maintain.
- You will have more free time for living the life you want.
- It will force you to declutter and cut back on your belongings and keep you from buying more.
- If decorating is not your thing, a smaller house will make it less overwhelming for you.
- When the time comes to sell, a smaller, more affordable home will appeal to a larger percentage of the population.
Downsizing doesn’t mean you should move into one of the tiny houses that are trendy right now. It might be just going from four bedrooms/three baths to three bedrooms/two baths. A professional Realtor can assist you in finding a smaller home that will suit all your needs and provide you with a happier, more peaceful lifestyle.
If you’re looking to downsize, Mike Manosky can help you sell your current home in addition to helping you find a new, smaller home to call your own. Give him a call today at 256-508-0211!